Friday, October 20, 2006

First job interview

Neither Don nor I have had a real job interview until today. We’ve been only to temp agencies and they do a simple, cursory review of your resume and then test your computer skills.

Today I had my first interview for a website coordinator position at the Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology. It’s a great degree-awarding school on the South Island, 100 years old. Someone at my current job referred me to the advertisement. I decided to apply to see what would happen. I figure I’m so experienced doing websites now, with all of 2 months under my belt at the Nelson City Council, that I’d be a shoo in :). I considered it a real achievement to get the interview call earlier this week.

To be honest, I don’t think I want the job anyway. I really like my current job and the people I work with and the possibilities, so I’ve decided to wait it out at NCC because they will advertise for the job I now have closer to the end of the year, and they’ve already made overtures to me. It’s going to be only half-time, but it will pay well and I will have the chance to get another PT job and do different types of work, that sounds neat. There’s no guarantee, so I’m definitely gambling.

Debate raged in the house about what to wear for this “first” of New Zealand events: Don’s recommendation, given his current job of interviewing job applicants, of typical NZ black for every work occasion (BORING) or Angela’s preference of color and vibrancy. We both figured that if I don’t really want the job, I can wear whatever I want. But black won out as I am too darned practical and responsible.

Today, as luck would have it, Don and I were part of a clandestine operation to learn more about the interview. Don went into the office around 1pm and learned right away that his boss’ husband was interviewing right then for the same job. We knew he had applied. Then shortly before 2pm, husband walks into the office to talk with wife. He starts talking about the job, all the questions, what they are looking for, etc. DING DING! Don IMs me, I take notes, blah blah blah, I know what to expect and prepare for my own appointment. Soooo sneaky!

He also learned what the boss’ husband wore: khakis and a shirt. So I scrapped the super-ultra deluxe black suit and went slightly less casual (but no less fashionable). Don’s boss also said what I’ve heard: once you make the cut for an interview, they’ve determined you are qualified. Now the interview is just about fit, will you fit in with them.

I had two interviewers and they were dressed way down, is that just a Nelson thing? Nothing earth-shatteringly different from the US, same types of questions, same BS. Bottom line: a bunch of information in a short interview made me realize it ain't the job for me. It wasn't a good fit at all. Besides, we do it way better at the City Council and I am so glad I work there. I look forward to applying for my job. I think job interviews are the same everywhere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home