Monday, October 16, 2006

Our first visitor, YAY!

Last night we hosted our first visitor from our former home in Colorado. My friend Sara Shainholtz arrived in New Zealand for a two week holiday only a few days ago and stayed with us on Sunday night. We took her for some fish and chips, sat on Tahunanui beach and went for a beer in the town centre. It was so nice to see a familiar face, even if for just one night. We're both mildly bummed today to see her go since she was a bit of home and brought that comfortable, familiar feeling. BUT, she is off for an amazing adventure to Abel Tasman and down to Queenstown, hopefully for the same kayaking adventure we went on in Doubtful Sound. She's gotten an earful from us about what to do and see and was absolutely giddy yesterday when she arrived after a day swimming with dolphins in Kaikoura. What an amazing thing, catching up with people you know half way round the world.

1 Comments:

At Thu Nov 02, 12:43:00 pm NZDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for having me Angela and Don! I had an amazing trip and fell slightly sulken to be home.

I ran up to the Centre of NZ the day I left you guys - great views! I hit the Kaharhengi and Neudorf vineyards on my way to Abel Tasman. Sea kayaking Abel Tasman was gorgeous and the weather just right. . . we ate green-lipped mussels on the beach and "sailed" the sea kayaks home. I met a couple from Colorado and we had a great Thai dinner at Choc Dee in Motueka.

The drive down the west coast was surreal! Stayed in Hokitika for a night (loved being on the beach but poured rain that day). I drove to Franz Joseph glacier the next day and hiked up to the base of the glacier in the wind and rain . . . stayed the night in the Ivory Towers Hostel (not bad) in Fox Glacier and had some great seafood chowder at The Plateau Cafe/Bar. I love vacation! In Fox the next day I hiked around Lake Matheson and drove to Gillespie beach - gorgeous!!! I drove to Wanaka and hit the town with some fellow travellers that night. Off to Queenstown the next day for some good shopping for icebreaker (got the 200 AND a 320 in the airport - I'm hooked!)and met up with some old raft guiding friends. My buddy hooked me up with a discount on the bus/boat ride to Milford sound - couldn't ask for a sunnier day. I didn't have time to see Doubtful sound unfortunately. I went rafting on the Shotover and jumped off the crazy Canyon Swing in Queenstown - terrifying and exhilerating!!! Hung out in Queenstown for a couple days and then drove to hike up to Mt Cook and enjoy Lake Takepo - again feeling very fortunate for bluebird days. I dropped off the rental car in Christchurch and flew to Auckland early the next day. Then to Fiji for 3 days! It was nice and relaxing but a touch lonely w/o a partner to share it with.

All in all a great adventure. Thanks so much for being a part of it and showing me your new home!!! Keep me updated while I search for a way to live down there!

All my best,

Sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home