Monday, January 15, 2007

Different names for different things

I've always found it rather fascinating how different countries/societies/cultures call the same thing by different names. This is true of English-speaking countries and I know it occurs frequently in Spanish-speaking countries as well.

Here in New Zealand, I'm sure we take after our British parent, but here is a list of some fun things that have different names here versus the U.S.

U.S. name / Kiwi name
cilantro, the spice, prominent in Mexican food and very important for our survival here / coriander--now before you think I'm a dolt, I didn't realise these were one and the same, it just depends on what part of the world you live in! I thought for months I'd have to put parsley in my salsa because I couldn't find cilantro. Google set me straight.

mini sausages / cheerios (not the cereal, which I love--try telling people that when you are a vegetarian!)
green, red, yellow peppers / green, red, yellow capsicum
diapers / nappies
tank tops / singlets
underwear for women, panties / knickers
underwear for men, underwear / pants
pants for men / trousers (gotta be careful if you say to a fellow, nice pants!)
flip-flops / jandles or thongs
shirts / polos
suspenders / braces
boat people, or people who own boats or enjoy boats / they have a name here, boaties (not sure this would be in a dictionary entry anywhere)
slot machines for gambling / pokies
push pins or thumbtacks / drawing pins
skater dude style shorts / boardies
french fries / you already know this, chips
vest / waistcoat
bathing suit / swimming outfit

Well, that's all I've accumulated for now, but there are more. Maybe another edition some other time.

1 Comments:

At Mon Jan 15, 10:36:00 pm NZDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just found your blog, don't ask me how anyway I too am an immigrant (Dutch) living in Nelson (3 years already)! I thought of another couple of kiwi things; swimming gear=togs
most things shortened barbeque becomes barbie, etc holiday-home=bach, small boat=dinghy. And then all these strange expressions like "bring a plate" did I get myself into trouble there showing up with a plate...
Anyway great blog! cheers eve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home