Friday, July 28, 2006

Small World

So I went to an employment agency yesterday to start putting the feelers out there for work – Angela is sick of me sitting around all day drinking beer and watching TV. The head, and only, recruiter there just moved from Colorado herself. Superior to be exact. She worked in Westmoor Technology Park, that’s just south of Jeffco airport and just north of our old house. So we spent about 45 minutes chatting about why we each moved and our experiences so far - I listened to her talk and then just gave her our blog address so she could catch up on what we’ve done (I know, not too personable but why should I rehash if it is already typed out). She confirmed that the wages suck in the Nelson area but said she didn’t find the area to cliquey (something else we’ve hear). She originally moved Christchurch with her husband and two children but after finding the city “average” (no offense Steve & Nancy, her words) they packed up and came to Nelson. I’m only looking for temp stuff to start so we can take the summer off and see the country (again). She said I shouldn’t have trouble finding temp work (we’ll see) and saw my skills very marketable – I now wish I had given her my real resume (never really would have thought there would be a need for an astronaut/ neurosurgeon). I will say that I’m certainly getting used to not working.

Also, we’re going to have tea next week with the neighbor who is housing a student from Seattle (heck, we may know him too since we lived up there for a few years) - I’ll bring copies of our blog to that little event too. Well, off to the gym to sign up for our free week and start our work out regime. Until next time.

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 29, 08:35:00 am NZST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are looking for work, although a bit reluctantly. And working out, too. Sounds like you're slipping into a good routine--not too strenous. A fun idea to explore the country before you become too tied down. Has the weather been cooperative?
Love, Dad & Mom

 
At Sat Jul 29, 09:58:00 am NZST, Blogger Don Bartkowiak said...

Don's tentatively looking for temporary, part-time work and nothing with a commitment as we want to take the summer months off. Some hours of some days he doesn't even want that much work! He's enjoying the leisure life :)

Working out is a must for both: we don't want to slip into laziness as our lives settle down here and although walking around Nelson is good, it isn't going to fill the aerobic void for either of us. I need to lose many pounds, Don is very exercise conscious, so this is a good thing for both of us. We joined Riverside Pool where they have a pool (that seems obvious now that I write it!) as well as machines so we can add swimming to our other workouts, which we very much wanted to do given our individual ailments.

The weather has been clear blue sky and gorgeous, 60s for more than a week now. Can't beat that for mid-winter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home